The Director of Merchandise Planning plays a key role in directing the development, execution, and communication of the strategic merchandise financial plans. This individual leads the Planning team and partners with the head of Merchandise Planning and the Merchants in driving the maximization of sales and margin. Accountable for leading a team that delivers ongoing financial plans through analytical based recommendations, action plans, and creating the demand plan based on the business strategy.Responsibility
- Creates and executes short-term and long-term goals that align with the company initiatives within the merchandising organization.
- Lead the annual planning process. Lead strategy for monthly forecasting with planners and communicate these plans to finance partners and merchandising team.
- Partner with operations, finance and merchandising teams to ensure there is alignment in all retail strategies
- Provide guidance and recommendations to management regarding complex issues related to the financial impact of business KPI s
- Manages the development of the 12 month merchandise plans and ensure the plans meet expected goals (sales, margin and inventory turn) and Company objectives for multiple product categories.
- Reviews forecasted sales trends and recommends adjustments to maximize opportunities and minimize liabilities for multiple product categories.
- Direct team and evaluate key business issues impacting the division and present business solutions to management
- Manages multiple product categories within a floor space planning structure to maximize $/sq. ft.
- Manages the Open to Buy process and partners with merchandising teams to recommend actions that drive sales and maximize gross margin by ensuring best receipt flow for multiple product categories.
- Manages markdown process and ensure exit strategy for seasonal programs to effectively mitigate aged inventory.
- Maintains continual communication with Merchandising, Allocation, Logistics, Marketing and Visual teams.
- Provides weekly/monthly receipt forecasts for the Supply Chain/Logistics team.
- Provides direction to Planners to partner across channels to ensure optimal inventories to best serve the retail needs across multiple product categories.
- Facilitates hindsight meetings and guides the application of the lessons towards the framework for future deliveries and reaction to current business trends for multiple product categories.
- Ensure that the each individual on the planning team is receiving the training and development that they need to be successful
- Bachelor s degree preferable emphasis on Business
- 7 + years of retail experience in Planning and Allocation as well as experience in business analysis and forecasting experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of direct leadership and/or cross functional team leadership
- Requires proficiency on MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point
- Profiency on Retail Planning & Assortment Systems
Associated topics: inventory, merchandise, merchandiser, merchandising, procurement, retail merchandiser, stocking, supply chain, warehouse, warehouse associate